These gluten free lemon blueberry scones are packed with juicy blueberries, filled with fresh lemon zest, and have the most tender, crumbly texture. They’re super easy to make and are perfect for weekend brunch!
(links below are the gluten free & celiac safe products I used in this recipe)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 scant cup Mariani vanilla walnutmilk (or any other milk you prefer)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 2 cups gluten free 1:1 flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 medium-size lemon)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Mariani vanilla walnutmilk (or any other milk you prefer), to brush tops
- turbinado sugar, for spinkling tops
In a large liquid measuring cup, add apple cider vinegar and enough milk to measure ½ cup. Stir and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the milk to curdle.
Using a cheese grater with large holes, grate the butter onto a small plate. Place in the freezer.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten free 1:1 flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In the liquid measuring cup with the milk and apple cider vinegar, add the Greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until combined.
Remove the butter from the freezer and add it to the dry ingredients. Add the lemon zest and mix with a fork until incorporated. Add the wet ingredients and stir until everything is moistened and combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Do not skip this step!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a large #20 scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the tops and edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before serving.