These greek yogurt buttermilk drop biscuits are like no gluten free biscuit you’ve ever had before. They’re light and fluffy and taste just like a “real” biscuit. Golden brown and delicious, these biscuits are perfect smothered in butter with fresh jam or with a drizzle of honey on top.
I LOVE BISCUITS. I mean, who doesn’t? But finding a good gluten free biscuit recipe over the years has been quite a challenge. A good biscuit must be buttery, light, tender, and fluffy, a few things that are hard to achieve with gluten free ingredients.
Today I bring you the BEST EVER gluten free biscuits, adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Light and Fluffy Biscuit recipe. I’m sure you all know how amazing America’s Test Kitchen is. They rigorously test recipes until they are absolutely perfect and these gluten free biscuits are no exception. I did make a few alterations to their recipe based on ingredients I had on hand and personal preference and let me tell you, these biscuits are life changing.
Here’s a few scientific facts from America’s Test Kitchen explaining why this recipe for gluten free biscuits works
- Gluten free flour lacks protein, so adding an egg boosts the protein content.
- Gluten free flour doesn’t absorb fat very well, so a combination of both butter and oil is key to making this recipe amazing.
- Gluten free flour doesn’t absorb liquids very well, and using buttermilk alone makes the biscuits spread too much, so a combination of yogurt and buttermilk solves the issue.
- Let the dough rest (I refrigerated mine to keep the butter cold) for 30 minutes before baking. This allows the dough to thicken and the starches in the flour to fully hydrate.
- When baking the biscuits make sure to place them close together on the baking sheet, about a ½ inch apart. This traps a little extra steam which makes the biscuits a little lighter and more tender.
My instructions differ slightly from America’s Test Kitchen’s as they do not refrigerate their dough before baking, they just let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. I have made these biscuits both ways and found that refrigerating the dough works better, in my opinion, because it keeps the butter cold. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, it’s well worth it in the end.
What you’ll need to make these Gluten Free Greek Yogurt Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
(links below are the gluten free & celiac safe products I used in this recipe)
- Gluten free 1:1 flour
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Coconut sugar
- Kosher salt
- Unsalted butter
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Refined coconut oil
Another great thing about this recipe is that these are drop biscuits, so you don’t have to roll out and cut the dough. Just make the dough, refrigerate it for 30 minutes, and scoop out the biscuits right onto a baking sheet using an ice cream scoop. What could be easier than that? Super simple to make and oh so good. These biscuits are EVERYTHING!
More delicious gluten free bread & muffin recipes you’re sure to love!
- Gluten Free Maple Cinnamon Macadamia Nut Banana Muffins
- Healthy Gluten Free Maple Glazed Pumpkin Bread
- Flourless Chocolate Black Bean Muffins
- Healthier Gluten Free Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins
If you make these Gluten Free Greek Yogurt Buttermilk Drop Biscuits, be sure to leave a comment and rating below. You can also snap a photo and post it on Instagram! Make sure to tag @glutenless_apron and use the hashtag #glutenlessapron for a chance to be featured. Enjoy!
* some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! thanks for the support! *